Monday, June 6, 2011

Amsterdam, Day 2

So the second day I planned on meeting my "big" Amy and her two friends Sabrina and Kayla (Sabrina is a zeta). We were to meet at 10 am at the Anne Frank house. Will, Jessica, and I got there a little early and there was already a line about 50 yards long. So we got on line and waited for Amy. By the time she got there, we were pretty close to the front. Amy felt bad about cutting the line and didn't want to wait on the end so they decided to rent bike while we went in the Anne Frank house. It was a really well put together museum. It was sad, but very educating. She was a very smart girl. It's hard to believe something so terrible actually happened on this planet. We weren't allowed to take pictures but this is what the house looked like from the outside:
After, we met up with Amy and Co. and decided to take a boat tour. After having a quick lunch, we bought our tickets and headed for the dock. We must have waited 40 mins for our boat because it was either full or not our boat. We finally got on and got a beautiful tour through the canals. I loved it, but I was so hot! I was wearing a sweatshirt and black jeans. Such a bad decision.

Finally we decided we wanted to get a picture with the "Iamsterdam" sign. We got off the boat and took a tram to the Rijksmuseum? which is just an art museum. After being lost for about 10 mins we finally found the sign, and discovered someone had graffitied the "e". I was so pissed. How inconsiderate. There were a lot of people there so it was hard to get a picture with no one in it. Here's what I got. I photoshopped the graffiti out:

Amy and Co. had to leave unfortunately because they were taking a train to Prague that evening. We said our goodbyes and they got on the tram. Me, Jessica, and Will decided to stay around that area for a little. We stopped to eat some delicious pancakes. I got the mixed fruit, but Will got apple and ice cream. Yummm...

After that we decided we wanted to go to the Heineken Museum, which wasn't too far away. We ended up running into our professor so we went through the museum with him. The museum was okay, it was really expensive and kind of an overproduction. We went on this simulated ride that took us through the beer making process. We got to drink free beer though. Too bad I don't really like Heineken...

Amy had told us about this brewery/bar that was under a windmill. We had to go. So we asked the bartender at the Heineken place if he knew where it was. In a Dutch accent he said "Ahh jaa I know...it's right here" as he pointed on my map. It didn't look that far so I said "Oh we'll just walk there." He said "Noo es very farr" I didn't believe him, so we decided to try to find it anyway. The bar closes at 8 and it was 6:45...we had to book it. So with my handy map we headed in the right direction. We must've walked a mile and it started looking less like Amsterdam and more like any other city. I was starting to think we were lost. After about another mile later we decided to ask for help. We stopped random people on the street and asked if they knew where it was. Everyone kept telling us "Oh yeah it's not that far. Just keep walking that way." So we kept walking that way. We were just about to give up when we turned a corner and there it was, in all it's glory. It was magnificent and completely worth the long walk. This is what we saw when we turned to corner:

It was perfect. The sun was setting, there was music (actually it was a band playing out of their car. They were literally playing out of a blue old convertable. After their performance they packed up and drove off. So funny!) So we got some homemade 9% beer, which was delicious and enjoyed the people and music. This was probably my favorite experience of Amsterdam. I liked it so much because it wasn't very touristy. I felt like a local. It's funny how we think we are so different. We are all actually very similar. I was looking around and I could have been anywhere: a bar on Fire Island, or bar in California. People everywhere really just like to have a good time.

Exhausted, we trekked back to our hotel, showered, and decided to eat cheaply at this chinese wok place. After we walked around and enjoyed the scenery. I really didn't like the night life. It was a lot of groups of guys up to no good. I rarely saw a girl my age. I was glad Will was with us. It was better to have a guy in the group.

We were tired so we called it an early night. Early being 1:30.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading all about your trip and I especially love your pictures. You are so good about posting and that makes me very happy. I feel like I am enjoying it with you. I miss you and can't wait to see you.. I think this is the longest we have gone without speaking and I don't like it. Thank god it's not a whole semester....Be happy and I love you.

    ReplyDelete